There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Monday 4 June 2012

A Dream-Come-True Room

Ever since I began to craft, I have spent an extraordinary amount of time fantasising about having my own little craft room,  a place where I could have all my equipment out, a peaceful little space of my own! For as long as I can remember I have had  storage boxes with my "stuff" packed away, with effect very time I wanted to do anything vaguely crafty, I would have to haul boxes out, unpack what I needed and then pack away again, irrelevant of whether I was finished or not!  I dreamt and fantasised about how it would look, in actual fact I  have spent an obscene an amount of time dreaming about what MY DREAM ROOM would look like!

When we bought our house it came with an extra little room...... to LSO this meant study... to me this meant, no, SCREAMED craft room. Who do you think won this prized room?  Alas not me! Luckily, the previous owner liked wine( I mean, honestly, who doesn't like wine?) and had dug out a tiny wine cellar under said study!!! LSO had delusions when he though he was going to fill it up with wine, I wanted it, I had to have it, after much negotiation, I got it!!!
Now a lot of renovating needed to be done to our house as it was build in the 1950's (and with all due respect to the previous owner, it was stuck in a 50's time warp) so my little room took a serious back seat! It smelt damp, was dark, had a leaking window, so every time it rained it flooded and was decorated BADLY(look at the picture below, the flooring says it all) A desk and a rickety old book case, came with the room,  but I was besides myself with joy...... I had a CRAFT ROOM!
For the past 2 years I have lived with this room in the sad state it was in,(in all honesty, I hardly went down there, and it  just became a dumping ground) but about 3 weeks ago I decided that I had to take serious action, clean it out, get it painted and make it the happy place I had always wanted! And due to very generous friends, this has happened very quickly over the last two weeks, A dear friend let me buy left over laminate flooring, another dear friend's mother(thank you Trish!), gave me a counter top and shelving unit  that you will see in the pictures, and my dream started to happen!  


The Room As It Was-SAD

I began by clearing everything out! Mission! And got rid of so much junk that I have collected over a short space of time, ripped up the awful linoleum(YAY!!!!!!!!) and painted it white!


Candy Pink Stripes!

Then Little Madame and I measured out vertical stripes on 1 wall and painted them pink!(a much debated colour between her and I-she wanted purple, me -not so much! Did I mention I share this space with her) she actually paints really well for a little peeps! Next came the floors, a contractor(Graham) laid them in a few hours, with me peeping every other minute! And literally the next day a delightful man named Adrian came and fitted my counter, shelves and a set of drawers that I decided to purchase from him!  These 2 gentleman have totally restored my faith in contractors, Graham(Floors) arrived 2 days earlier than expected ,and when I called Adrian(Fitter) to tell him, he said he could squeeze the job in the next day. It was done in 2 weeks! I was besides myself with joy and happiness!!

Laminate Floors - Done

Counters,Shelves and Drawers - Done!

See The Stairs, It Really Is Underground!

I told Little Madame that we would only move in over the weekend, but as everything had been sorted into neat store bought drawer sets, one for sewing, one for yarn, it was easy and anyway, I was so excited that we moved in there and then!


All My Bits And Bobs Awaiting Their New Home


Sewing Machines New Home!

Books and Little China Girls

Working In Her Space

Her Laptops - Made At School


Yarn and Sewing
 So we are all moved in, and am dreaming about many happy days of sewing and crafting that are going to take place. Oh and did I mention how school girly excited I am? I did? Did I mention how verryy H-A-P-P-Y I am? I did?  Well let me say it again, very loudly I AM SO VERY HAPPY! xxx


Ta Dah!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So awesome to have your own separate space to let your creativity ooze out! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog xxx