There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Tuesday 12 June 2012

It''s June - When did this happen?

I have suddenly woken up to the fact that it is JUNE!! Where, oh where has this half of the year gone? A wise woman (my Mother) once told me "Have children and watch time fly"  Not only is it June but we actually are half way through the month too..... In a way this makes me happy because that means we are heading back toward Summer(well I am being very optimistic about that one!) I miss Summer, in a big awful way! I suppose that is because in our 'little fishing village' everything is geared toward Summer...... Long hot summer days by the swimming pool are just the best thing ever, I don't even mind the humidity!
At the moment the days are short and the nights long, cold and chilly! Heaters are out, warm woolly socks and winter PJ's on and Winter linen on the beds!  Lovely hot soups and stews are on the stove and we are not even half way into Winter yet! The rest of my family all live in a very chilly part of South Africa(about 6 hours away) and always laugh when I say it is cold here, were they live, winter days mean -3 degrees and highs of 5 degrees( Actually for them, that is a heat wave!) Brrrrrrrrr!!!!

Yummy Things and Beautiful Shadows

Yes, I Have Silly Winter Slippers

Winter in the United Kingdom is a different story for me, I love it. We often go and visit Scotland over winter, and my British friends, shake their heads at us..... Mad South Africans.  Icy blue winter skies, snow and warm breath fog shooting out of your mouth is wonderful, but I am under no illusion, it is just a HOLIDAY! How they do that long cold Winter is a mystery to me.

Icy Snow in Scotland

Looking Very Chilly
So back to my Winter blues. Winter shadows come creeping into my house very early in the afternoon causing me to rush around putting on lights and heaters! Long hot baths are little Madame's favourite thing, and then under her blanket to watch TV.  She keeps asking if she can swim? "Uh if you want to freeze - sure go right ahead!" -which in Ashley speak, means NO WAY!! So if you are not bored to tears by my Winter ramblings by now... Why this long mournful post?


Long Winter Shadows

A few days ago I was reading a post but if I told you which one, I would be lying! The lovely lady that wrote it, said something to this effect, "the days are long, but the years are short" How true are these words? We are all so busy that we forget to enjoy what is staring us right in the face! A warm heater,  cold little feet placed on your back in the middle of the night, warm soup and toasty bread, a cup of steaming hot chocolate, a hot bath, a warm cuddle, beautiful winter shadows, true friends, and the unconditional love of your husband! So many people have none of this......

So I am going to try really hard to remember all this when next I am lamenting about Winter and remember to be THANKFUL, because I am pretty sure that this is as good as life gets xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx