There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Sunday 10 June 2012

To Blanket or Not to blanket ? That is the question...

When I first learn to crochet, it was by trial and error as I have mentioned in a previous post I am a lefty!!! And whenever I expressed a desperation to learn to crochet I was told, find a left handed person to teach you, or was met with lots of hearty, belly filled laughter – now I must tell you  I do not like being laughter at, laughed with yes, but laughed at NO!

So two years ago a South African magazine called Ideas ran a “teach yourself to crochet!” article.  I raced out bought myself some wool and a crochet hook – but as any mother will tell you, to find time to do anything with a toddler is Mission Impossible (I think Tom Cruise would have trouble!) A few weeks later I was invited on a weekend away with a few friends, I begged an hour to sit by myself and indulge..... After a pain staking hour, I was actually getting it right!! The angels sang and a ray of light hit me –well at least in my mind! But I was actually crocheting, all be it slowly. I have persevered and with the help of my talented domestic worker I have learnt to crochet –at this stage, I would very much like to stick my tongue out at the you-will-never-crochet-brigade, but that would be silly- or would it?
My first project was a granny square blanket, multicoloured and happy. I vividly remember my Granny Sheila having one, and wanted Little Madame to have a memory blanket too. It took me forever! But I am nothing if not resilient!   My big Ta Dah moment was met with an 'Oh that’s nice' but then again she was only 3! I now have the absolute joy of seeing her drag everywhere with her and sleep with it all the time –mmmmmm very satisfying!

Sweet Granny Square Blanket

Sweet Little Toes


While browsing (OK-buying!) at Sew Time, I saw some gorgeous green yarn and decided there and then to buy a few balls, the next blanket was born! I made 45cm striped squares, if that makes sense, 8 in all and then crocheted them together, the resulting blanket is very masculine and it was promptly claimed by LSO! I must admit it is my favourite blanket so far, and very warm and cosy, last winter, it became a bit of a race as to who got under it first in the evening!  This resulted in the next blanket.......
Warm and Cosy


I have mentioned Cute and Easy Crochet Book a number of times, and I found another granny square blanket, with pretty little flowers in the middle, lots of lovely neat little granny squares later, Ta Dah, my blanket was done – no more battle of the blankets in our house. It now lives in our spare room, draped over my antique rocking chair, the perfect accessory
Calm and Comfortable

A pretty baby blanket followed, you have all seen that one.......
Funky Baby Blanket


I must admit I have started one and lost interest, it often calls me and begs to become a gorgeous huge warm comfy thing, but it is a hexagonal pattern that needs loads of attention....  and time. I love the colours and really need to get it finished, but maybe not a blanket...... maybe a cushion cover.

So the title of this post is now clear, its autumn here and I feel a blanket coming on, but what sort- a ripple, a granny square, (which I am totally partial too) granny strips, just plain rows..... The mind boggles! Maybe I should  just go yarn shopping...... The gorgeous sunset yarn I bought in the UK I hear you ask? Well, I am still just looking at it, and yes it still makes me happy.....
 I will let you know......

PS:: I am working on a left hand Crochet tutorial; it is a work in progress.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx