There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Friday 23 March 2012

Garden Heaven


  
                                                                                                            ' The kiss of the sun for pardon

The songs of the bird for mirth

You are nearer God’s heart

In the garden than

anywhere else on earth’
When we moved in to our house almost three years ago, one of my main concerns was the garden, having lived in an apartment for most of my life, green fingers, I had learned were not a talent I possessed! The day we walked into the oasis that was to become our home, I remember thinking “thank you “the people that were living there possessed an abundance of these green digits that had seemed to elude me for most of my life (I couldn’t even keep a love palm alive) All I had to do was give it water and hopefully this beautiful established garden would be just fine...... And so began my love affair with my garden. For the first few months I did exactly that water and it was doing well but slowly, very slowly I began to want to plant thing, I love Hibiscus flowers so those were the first few plants to go in and yes they flourished!










Very soon we were planning a vegetable garden, very ambitious for a non green fingered person , but a patch was dug up by LSO and a trip to the Garden centre planned, we bought Brinjals, carrots green peppers and the dreaded tomato(will explain why dreaded further on ) Books very purchased and we began to plant!
Very soon we could see the “fruits” of our labour begin to grow. I will say this a veg garden is not for the faint hearted, we have tried very hard to be organic but it would seem that insects love garlic spray almost as much as they love teeny little baby plants. Tomato’s are by far the hardest thing to grow, they need constant care and love, and between running a house, looking after a toddler and trying to craft........ Tomato’s come in a very sad last,( we have had tomato’s but they are very unhappy little things) And this makes me sad... so we are trying with them again! (For the 10th time)
Rosemary and mint
To cook with things that you have grown is very rewarding, and somehow the vegetables just taste better! Herbs followed soon and we have a gorgeous rosemary plant, every time I water it, and the heady aroma hits me, I can almost taste the roast lamb and potatoes. Next to that is mint and parsley so everything one needs for gorgeous scrumptious food! (I am making myself hungry-the last thing my voluptuous rear end needs!)











And Yes! You guessed it 3 fruit trees followed. Lemons, mangos and paw paw trees, we sadly lost the paw paw tree but the other 2 are doing superbly. So enough of me waxing lyrically about vegetables and fruit, here are a few pictures of my little piece of green heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx