There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Hot Cross Buns and Crocheted Bunnys....

After years of eating them, well guzzling them up really, I finally decided to try and make them ....... HOT CROSS BUNS! Last week after making all of Little Madame's Easter bits and bobs, I opened up my Domestic Goddess cook book and found the recipe for hot + buns! I am not sure why I particularly wanted to make these as they seemed like an awful amount of hard work, loads of kneading and leaving to rise over night then beating them down, more kneading and rising , and making egg wash, then more kneading and beating down and making cross goo and sugar washes then yet MORE beating down and kneading- whew! But when I decide I want to try something...... Well I simply have to try it out!

 
Hot + Bun Dough
 
Ready To Become Hot + Buns

Leave To Rise - AGAIN!
 
Now I am not going to wax to lyrically about these yummy little buns, they looked nothing like those gorgeous store bought buns! My hot + buns were not all uniform round little buns, the crosses were not really crosses more like multiplication signs and to be REALLY REALLY honest they looked more like rock cakes - the kind we all made in Std 6 Home Economics. But, and this is a BIG BUT the smell of them baking was amazing, the spicy smell came wafting into the lounge and my mouth was instantly in eat mode! The entire family trooped into the kitchen to see what the smell was and we all tried them. Hot and Spicy, dripping with butter, straight out the oven.... they were yummy! Who cares what they looked like, they were HEAVEN!


Baking Buns

1 A Penny, 2 A Penny Hot + Buns 
I would have eaten them all, you know how much I like eating but 30 odd buns on my rear end? No thank you Bunny! So I packed them up and sent them off to school with Little Madame the next day! Along with a pot of my new and very special jam - Look at the name of it - and drool! It is seriously the best jam ever and I will give you the recipe soon.....

Now speaking of teachers and school, every year there is an Easter Bonnet Parade, and this year I was just going to let Little Madame wear her hat from last year..... as you know from my last post I then went into full Easter Mode and this new bonnet was the out come. We had such fun making it and it was totally inspired but all the mad hopping that has been going on here at the estate!


The Making


The Grade R Bonnets

The Easter Bunny

Cute Bunny

Mad  Bunny Hops!

So as you can see I was definitely feeling much more EASTERY, I had popped onto the net to check if my blog Hero Lucy from Attic24 had posted anything, and Boy Oh Boy has she ever..... these sweet gorgeous darling little Easter Bunny's- I got out my yarn and was determined to have at least 2 little sweethearts done by the next morning. One for my Little Madame and one for this very dear little boy that I know and adore! The Original pattern is for sweet little owls by  Bunny Mummy(what an apt name for the season) and reworked by Janette into the sweetest little bunny's every- here is the link to the pattern
 

All the Bits Done

Eyes and Nose


Bunny Tail


With  this pattern is  the very simplest way to make pompoms - tiny little mini ones! They are so sweet(I seem to be using that word often in this post) And SIMPLE and EASY and, yes you guessed it-SWEET! 
 
Take a fork(your common old kitchen variety)
Wind yarn around the tines
Thread some yarn through the middle and tie it tight
Slip it off the fork
Cut the folded ends through and fluff it out
Trim into a ball
VOILA and TA DAH = SWEET LITTLE POMPOM = SWEET BUNNY TAIL!!  


Now Isn't He  Sweet!


That Tail..... SWEET!

My fingers were aching but I was super giddy happy with him, as a matter of a fact he has inspired a whole new project that I am working on, well that is,  in between a family of sweet little bunny's(why stop at one) my blanket(oh yes, still working on that - progress report to follow soon) little owl's and the Easter Holiday Fun I have planned with Little Madame!

Another Bunny
In the old end, Easter turned out to be quiet delightful after all. And so in between stuffing my mouth with all the chocolate that the Easter Bunny left and crocheting Easter Bunny's, I would like to say that I hope you all had a very Chocolaty and Happy EASTER xxx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx