There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Monday 3 September 2012

Old Dogs, New Tricks....

You know how as a girl you always think that your mom can do anything and everything....... She is your hero, she teaches you everything you know... Cooking, baking,knitting,sewing(well maybe not sewing) she sort of introduces you to everything really, then lets you spread your wings and fly!

Well, as you all know my mother, taught me how to knit, and I automatically thought she could crochet.( I mean she is MOM) She has been poorly and I a while ago, I sent her a care parcel,(I live about 6 hours away from her) with some crocheting bits and bobs in it, and heard nothing more so thought that she was hooking up a storm!  Well.... she came to visit recently and in her suitcase was a rather large shopping bag brim full with  yarn..... "Here, crochet me a blanket" - WHAT???? Do it yourself, you can crochet. To which she said, well actually I can't!!
 
 
Bag Full of Yarn
 
You could have knocked me over with a feather!

It would appear that years ago she had tried but could never  quite get it right so she simply gave up! Weeelllll that just would not do!  I WOULD HAVE TO TEACH HER!!! I looked at the wool, we chatted and brain stormed and finally decided that a simple granny square blanket was the answer! It was also decided that the blanket would be a hand made gift for the dear friend who had  loving looked after her while she was ill! This wonderful lady is an Angel and my mother really wants to thank her, and what better way than with a beautiful blanket, loving handmade!
 
 
The Start of The First Square
 
I had to  talked her through the first square(I am a lefty and she righty), it was a long and very frustrating process for my mom, she would get a few clusters done perfectly, then totally mess up the next few clusters and have to pull all the work out and start again(I now know where I get my perseverance from!) and so we struggled on. Lots of encouragement was needed! 2 days of frustration later,  I  suddenly remembered how she taught me to knit.... Do you remember?..... If not click here!! We sat opposite one another and suddenly everything made sense and she was on her way......  
 

The  First Square Finished

 
We decide on 9 small squares in the centre, and then she would work her way around and around, 1 row per colour(does that makes sense??) until all the yarn was finished, then do a picot edging. It looked quiet pretty but something was missing, then I remembered my granny square blanket with the flower in the middle, and made 9 flowers and sewed them onto the small squares, it looked gorgeous, the colours of the yarn are warm and inviting. 
 
 
My Contribution -  A Beautiful Flower
  
Working The Pattern Out
 
Once I started to see it come together, I became a bit envious - I wanted the blanket- The bigger it got the more I coveted it but it is going to someone much more deserving than I, it is sooooo gorgeous and soooooo PRETTY, and is the perfect gift for the wonderful Yvonne!
 
 
Getting Bigger
 
Beautiful Colours
 

Warm and Snuggly

 
My mother has gone home now, and I will call her everyday and ask how it is going and whether it is finished yet.......
 
It would seem that who ever said you cannot teach an old dog you tricks, needs to think again..... just look at this gorgeous blanket, and know, anyone of any age can do anything they want to, if they just put thier mind to it! xxx  

2 comments:

  1. Ash that is just beautiful ! So glad you got to spend some time with your Mom, please give her my love ! I could just picture you teaching her to crochet ! Hope you both had a lovely time together.... thanks for the beautiful stories , miss you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahh That is so sweet Ash! Maybe there is hope ofr me yet...LOL
    Glad you got to spend some quality time with your Mum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog xxx