There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Friday 4 May 2012

Spins and Needles

My one mission while in the United Kingdom was to find a yarn shop. I wanted to see the beautiful yarn I have been looking at since discovering my Mollie Makes bible! I have trawled the web sites of Rowan and Debbie Bliss and many many more....... I needed to see the wonderful colours and run my finger through balls of soft beautiful yarn! Of course this met with much eye rolling and pain filled looks from LSO, but if he loves me, he has to love the hooky-yarn-crazy- see-a-ball –of- wool -and –swoon me!!
Oh happy days!

Lovely Sarah



Sixteen Pounds!

My bits and bobs!
So imagine my delight when I found a sweet little shop in Lincoln called Callyco but alas this was a sewing shop(Which didn’t stop me from a prompt and happy purchase) As I was leaving the shop I asked if there was a yarn shop in town and to my utter joy there was one and very close too. So armed with a little map drawn on the back of my till slip I ventured forth......... A sort of treasure map for me, I had to giggle because my big” X marks the spot” moment was Tesco’s! And right opposite was SPINS AND NEEDLES, I politely asked my family if I could pop in and was told of course!                                                                          (I think they knew what a tantrum I would have thrown if the answer had been anything else!) I opened the door to find a very pretty trendy young woman madly crocheting, and was warmly greeted, I think she could sense the oncoming swoon, and she happily left me to browse. It wasn’t a big shop but within minutes I had an arm full of bits and bobs, gorgeous bamboo hooks, one with a funky little handle, a hook holder and some stitch markers- then I turned around and my eyes saw all the yarn, to quote my little madam ‘oh my giddy aunt!’ I have never seen such beautiful colours, every colour you could think of, matched up to perfection! I think LSO was feeling a bit poorly that day, because he suddenly blurted out, “you could buy some, I am sure it wouldn’t take up too much space” It was all the encouragement I needed and I immediately bought the most gorgeous group of sunset colours, I call then that because, as you can see in the picture below, they look like sunset...... Sarah, (said pretty trendy young lady) was so helpful and didn’t even mind little Madame touching and feeling! We chatted and she showed me all sorts of yarn, rabbit hair, goat’s hair and even one that cost 16 pounds per ball (gulp) I left feeling like the cat that got the cow, never mind the cream!!!!


Sunset Colours!


See what I mean -just perfect!
However........ Lying in our hotel bed that night I kept seeing another 2 beautiful colours, they would not leave me! They kept creeping in, and I even dreamt about them (don’t roll your eyes!) I had seen a beautiful pattern for wrist cuffs in Mollie Makes and knew that the Rialto lace yarn would be perfect..... So the next day I scuttled off back to Sarah’s shop and bought some!  Now I must highly recommend Spins and Needles, it is a gorgeous little shop with such character, but above all this Sarah was so patient and very help full, we chatted about South Africa, netball and she was very happy when little madam asked if she too could have some yarn, Sarah, found her the sweetest little balls! So if you feel so inclined she is on facebook –Spins and Needles, and loves visitors so if you are ever in the beautiful town of Lincoln, pop in and say hi! As to what I am going to crochet with my gorgeous sunset yarn....... I am thinking........ And at the moment still so entranced by the colours that I am just happy dreaming.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx