There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Tuesday 28 April 2015

Warm Woolen Mittens.....

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things
 
Poor LSO(my long suffering husband - for you first time readers) has been spending a extra ordinary amount of time in Aberdeen Scotland. Now I am not entirely sure how many of you have ever been to this beautiful city far up north in the hinterlands of Scotland..... I have, I went in March a few years ago to join him. Little Madame was only a wee thing( lol - notice the Scottish word) I was told that it wasn't that cold at that time of the year...... WHATEVER!!!!  As I walked out of the hotel with my baby in a pram an icy wind cut through me! It was the coldest thing I have ever felt! Little Baby Madame instantly started to cry, I turned myself and my pram around, went back to the hotel room and put every single item of clothing I had, on myself  and Little baby Madame. THEN went shopping for proper cold weather clothes. With out using real bad words I can only say it was cold, REALLY COLD! I vowed never to go back. Me and cold just don't go !  
 
 
Fast forward a few years and LSO is spending a vast amount of time there now! The last time he was there(December) He said that his hands were really  cold, now LSO is certainly not a glove man. However being as though I am a nice wife, well I try. I decided to knit him a pair of mittens.
  

I found a very convenient and easy  pattern in a magazine, (I forget which one) and got going. I chose a very chunky and masculine wool. The pattern was easy, and as I am not a great knitter, this was a good thing. Cast on then knit 2 , purl 2, until it was the perfect length.


Then make a thumb, it was a bit of a challenge and I am not entirely sure I got it right but  there was a thumb  where it was supposed to be!
 

Two mittens were done in 2 days, not only am I not a great knitter but being as I am left handed, I am also a very SLOW knitter.  I am sure if my mother knitted these they would have been done in an hour or two.


Sewed in the bits and pieces and Ta Dah...... Big Chunky Man Mittens (although the word mittens seems a bit odd for man clothing doesn't it?)(See what I mean about the odd looking thumbs)
 


I popped them in LSO's cupboard and his reaction was favourable. He seem mildly impressed! To his credit , they were packed into his bag when he left in February and he did say he wore them and that they were comfy and warm....... Do I believe him? I am just not  sure, any of my Scottish readers see a gorgeous man with MITTENS on? If you do, dont say anything, just take a picture and send it to me please! And please don't say nice MITTENS,you know how macho men can be..... xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx