There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Very Vintage

 
I have often thought that I was born in the totally wrong era..... I love all things vintage... I am also been going through a particularly vintage phase lately, I find myself buying very vintage looking clothes, tulle petticoats under full skirts and tight bodices! Hair in high ponies or up in big poffy buns! Vintage clip on earrings, black liquid eyeliner and blood red lipstick are completing my look right now!  
 
Full Skirts and Tulle Petties
  
 
Beautiful Magazines

 
So it is with much delight that I found one of my favourite magazines (you all know how much I LOVE magazines)had brought out a VERY VINTAGE issue, it was brimming with wonderful pages of beautiful and creative pictures..... Beautiful cakes, shoes flowers and wonderful mouth watering recipes! And all with a very Vintage feel! I read it and reread it pawed over the pages and then read it all over again! It was delightful...
  
 


The food section was really good, with loads of good old fashioned recipes, things that we don't seem to make anymore - finger sponges, gingerbread, vol-au-vents, coronation chicken, ripple cakes and pumpkin fritters. I had to stop myself rushing straight to my kitchen!


Pumpkin Fritters

The same week end that I got my beautiful magazine, we decided to pop down to the I heart Market in Durban, now this is epic in our lives.......Why?.....LSO and Little Madame have a very strong aversion to coming with me to markets.... It must be something to do with the fact that I can potter around for hours and spend copious amounts of money!!! But to my utter joy and happiness they both loved this market! The 'I heart market' is filled with crafter's, foodies and antique stalls, it is a lovely market that is held once a month only, so it is really unique! And I discovered and bought some gorgeous little bits and bobs!  

First up are these beautiful old magazines..... they are filled with useful tips and information, on how to be the best homemaker you can possibly be. They have no dates on them but are old, they look and smell old, you know what I mean that musty, stale  old book smell! There are no dates on the books so I googled them, they were published in 1930.....84 years old! They have amazing articles in them on sweet making, leather, work, sweet making and my favourite .... Infant Welfare! Back in the day when they were published they cost the princely sum of 1 shilling! What a find, I was giddy, silly happy with my purchase! These precious book now grace my entrance hall table!


Newnes Popular Home Books

With my Vintage Looking Blanket

I also bought a lovely candle stick, tee shirt, a soap making kit for little madame, two beautiful hand made roses that are going to be come brooches and two  gorgeous handmade bowls! The bowls are my favourite purchase (besides the books) although they are not old or perfectly made, they are lacy and pretty. Inscribed inside the bowls are beautiful words..... 'family makes this a home' These words touch my very soul!


Handmade Bowls


My Treasures

This post is a bit jumpy - SORRY!  But it all really does have to with being very vintage at the moment!
 
So back to that glorious magazine...... I kept thinking about the pumpkin fritters! My mother made us all sorts of fritters - sweet corn, pumpkin, butternut, they were bringing back a flood of good memories.... Days gone by memories, memories of happy family times around our dining room table!




Can you guess where I am going with this, we had decided to Braai(barbecue for the rest of the world) that evening for dinner and pumpkin fritters were on the menu! More memories were evoked when I smelt them gently frying in the pan...
 
Pumpkin Fritters

300g Cooked Pumpkin
120g Cake Flour
5 ml baking powder
1 ml Salt
1 Egg - Beaten
Sunflower Oil For shallow frying
Blue cheese

Mix everything together, Heat the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper

Of course I did a sneaky apply to mouth before said fritter hit the table....... So yummy!

Vintage Spoon

The fritters were gone almost before they hit the table... they were really good and very easy to prepare. I had only ever eaten pumpkin fritters with cinnamon and sugar, this recipe called for them to be eaten with blue cheese.... LSO wasn't so sure about this but once we had tasted the combination together - WINNER! A modern twist on a vintage recipe! As for me and my vintage tendencies....I like to think of myself as a modern girl with HEAPS of vintage twist! xxx
 

Table Bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx