There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Monday 24 February 2014

A Skull with no Crossbones


I have a small confession to make......and I am sure this will not be a big surprise! ....I have teeny tiny dark side.... Not all gothy and black(although black looks very good on my ample bottom!) I have a bit of a passion for skulls! Yes, you heard right SKULLS, as in Skull and Crossbones.



I have a gorgeous pair of skull earrings and a black heart necklace with a skull on it, and a gorgeous skull scarf that a dear friend brought me back from London. She said when she saw it she though I would love it and I do! Yes I am getting to the point, and the point is can you imagine my absolute giddy, happy, joy, when I open up the Simply Crochet magazine(the same one that the hedgehog family came from)that LSO brought for me and found a crocheted skull brooch! I was beside myself..... 



The Making
It was very simple to crochet, but it had to go to the back of the pile..... The Two Shades of Grey Blanket And the Hedgehog family were demanding to get finished..... Have I told you that I have made a vow, that I would try to finish off everything I started last  year before I started anything new this year!( oh stop laughing, I said TRY didn't I)   



I Love Yarn!
So one quiet afternoon I sat down, got out all the bits and bobs needed and got going. To my absolute delight the pattern worked out perfectly, it was quick, easy and well written. At this point I must tell you  yet AGAIN that I just LOVE  the Simply Crochet magazine and really wish we could get in here in deepest darkest Africa!!! Every single thing that I have tried from this magazine has worked perfectly with no tweaking or problems...... so if you are ever travelling to the UK buy it!!
 
 
It only took me about 20 minutes to finish and it looked like a skull from the word go! The only thing I had to do, was stream it. Have I talked to you about steaming your crochet instead of blocking, it is MUCH easier than blocking, although there is a bit of a knack to it, it is not rocket science! So put your iron onto the steam setting, place your item on a flat surface, I don't even get the ironing board out, I just use a towel. Then place your iron just above the item - NOT ON IT!! And let the steam flatten it out! Quick and Easy!
 


Hold The Iron Just Above NOT On it!
Decorating the skull came next.....The teeny tiny little flowers were hard and to be honest with you, and I didn't like the look of both flowers on top of  the eyes, so I played a bit!  
 


Hmm -Not So Much
Made some pink flowers... still wasn't loving both eyes covered! I liked the flowers so I played some more......And did the rest of the embellishment the book suggested but not everything.

 

There that's better, it still looked like a skull now!



Love It!
I happen to love wearing brooches and have a huge collection! Vintage ones from my great great Aunt, from my mom and some that I have bought along the way! The picture  below shows  my flavour of the minute brooches! I really LOVE the two African brooches.....


When it was done I pinned it onto my favourite denim jacket! My oldest and dearest jacket in the whole wide world - and  it certainly  has travelled the world and been with me through thick and thin, it is almost a 'YAYA' sisterhood jacket as many of my friends have loaned it too



We are having a viciously hot summer down here in the fishing village soooo ALAS I cannot wear my beautiful brooch at the moment! This makes my heart sad,  very, very sad indeed! ..... Oh well Winter will be here soon,  until then I will just have to admire it while hanging on my cupboard door ! xxx
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx