There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Thursday 6 February 2014

A Woodland Cutie!

Attic24 is one of my favourite blogs to read, Lucy is a genius in my opinion! She was my inspiration when I was learning to crochet! I also love the very beautiful pictures she takes and the words that seem so effortless to her. I have even been to visit places she loves and have fallen in love with the places  LOOONG before I had even been there! I get so excited when she has posted something new, that I make myself a coffee and try  hard to find a quiet corner to sit and read her blog! I think I have mentioned this all before! Well why again... Shortly after I got back from my Big Fat American Holiday(post to follow shortly - am try to wade through 2000 odd pictures) I read her post on wreath making and she was crocheting a sweet cute gorgeous little Hedgehog! I had to have it, I just had to and luckily for me LSO was in the UK so I ask, no that isn't the right word... I BEGGED him to find my said magazine, so I could also make a sweet little hedgehog!




The magazine is Simply Crochet, it is brim full of wonderful creative crochet! I get GIDDY with happiness and excitement when I get my Simply Crochet, you don't get it all the way down here! When I got it I disappeared, away from every one...... I was looking for one thing and one thing only - A certain LITTLE HEDGEHOG! Peeps this little animal is so cute,  I was not sure I would not  stop at 1, I dashed down to my craft room, grab some yarn from my stash and got stuck in, this is the tale of a cute little hedgehog .......Or two!

This was also my first attempt at amigurumi crochet - this is crocheting in circles and is a very popular, when crocheting small toys and animals, I did however find it a bit difficult, counting stitches when a little monkey is chattering away to you,  can some times be a bit difficult. The pattern calls for stitch makers, at first I thought that I wouldn't need them.... But as I said before monkey + chatting = stitch makers!
 

Is She Sweet Or What?
Harriet the hedgehog's nose was loonnggg! LSO and my sister, commented on this a few times- they said it looked odd, but I pushed on, and slowly but surely she came to life! The pattern called for you to stuff her as you went, so the nose got stuffing, then the body and very cleverly you just sort of crocheted her bottom closed..... I added eyes immediately, I love making my creatures look alive as quickly as possible. I added a felt patch(the pattern said to just mark it off)  I sort of liked that she would have something to stand on.  

The Making
Up to this point, Harriet had been very easy..... but then I had to add her spikes, and this is were the going got tough, I had to  take my time, you have to work into the front of the crochet stitch only , I found it a bit difficult to pick up just this front stitch..... but soon was whizzing away, row after row! And Harriet was looking so sweet! Little Madame was hovering, waiting, wanting! I had nearly finished my sweet little Harriet when , I thought to myself, how cute would another one be, in that fluffy yarn, the sticky up stuff...... You know which one I am speaking about...... No..... Well luckily Mary at the yarn shop knew exactly what I was on about! and so began Harriet baby Hubert!

Baby Hubert
He is sweet and fluffy and cute and NEVER again to be repeated so he is also a one off unique little creature. This yarn was difficult to work with, and if I thought that picking up the front stitch on Harriet was a bit trying, try doing it when you cannot see what you are doing...... Sort of can't see the stitch for the fluff thing!

My Sister Said It Made A Better Beard!

My Two Favourite things... Crochet and Red Wine

I finished the family in 3 days and really, think they are so sweet. Needless to say Little Madame laid claim to them as I had finished taking the pictures. Harriet and Hubert now live a very exciting existence!


They give hedgehog rides to Barbie and Ken.....


They sleep in a Lego Den, that was specially designed for them....


They guard the Sylvanian Kingdom for invading monsters.....


And get loads of cuddles from Little Madame.....


 
Harriet and Hubert have fitted into our family really easily, they seem to be all over the house, I will walk past a potted plant and there they will be, or pop into the bathroom and Harriet will be sitting next to the toothpaste looking innocently up at me..... make you wonder if toys Really do have a life of there own........xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx