There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Thursday 20 June 2013

Heaven in A Biscuit!

I have told you all about my love of all thing Edible! I sure you all know that I love eating and cannot resist a good recipe or cookbook, hence the shelves and shelves and SHELVES of cook books and magazines all around my house!(and the voluptuous rear end!!) Soooo lets add yet  another cooking mag  to the pile! For my darling peeps who read my blog over the sea's. Here in Good Ole South Africa, we speak NOT 1 but 13 official languages... well I certainly can not, but let me clarify... we have 13 official languages that are spoken in our beautiful if some-what-mixed-up-country! One of those is Afrikaans, a sort of Kitchen dutch that most of us count as our second language. It comes in VERY handy when overseas and one wants to mouth off about something annoying and even more handy when mommy and daddy want to speak about something that Little Madames ears should not hear..... a very handy language indeed! 

So here in SA there are many Afrikaans magazines, I mean,that just follows. One of those is a magazine called Sarie(a Girls name) This very clever magazine just brought out a food edition - in ENGLISH!!!!  Oh my Giddy GiDdy Aunt!! There are really good South African recipes in it! From traditional Babootie(a Minced meat dish) to mouth watering Oxtail Stews, Malva puddings,Souskluitjies(dumpling in a Cinnamon milky sauce - my Ouma Honnibal is the queen of these) and the Biscuits..... oh the yummy-yummy-mouth-watering-delish-biscuits!!(click on the picture for the link)

Beautiful Picture and Recipes

n the back was a section on Healthy Eating - Oh Stop it right now! - Stop laughing and get up off the floor!!! I do try, I really do....... Any way...... back to what I was saying..... Was Chocolate Chunk Biscuits - and boy did they sound delish!!!. You know what comes next.... Off to the kitchen....


The Making
Sarie Magazine's Chocolate Chunk Bicuits with Milk

200g Soft Butter
100g Brown Sugar
50ml Honey
2 eggs
5ml Salt
250g Cake Flour
350g Raisins ( I only had a cake mix, raisins ,currant and sultana's  - but it worked perfectly)
240g Oats
100g Dark Chocolate( 70 percent or more please)

Oven to 160 degrees

Cream the butter sugar and honey
Add eggs (one at a time) and mix well
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well
Roll into ball, place on a greased tray and press flat with your palm to about 1cm thickness
Bake for 20 - 25 min

Pour a large glass of ice cold milk and APPLY TO MOUTH! try and to stop at 2 as the knowledgeable people who wrote this say that is what is healthy,  I eventually stopped at 5 or was it 6....... can't really remember .... or choose not to .......


Out The Oven

In The Jar

Applying To Mouth
Now apparently they really are very healthy, you would never think so by the taste, my dear friend Lesley (by the way - Lesley's blog is awesome -take a look -http://lesley-justsaying.blogspot.com/) who popped in for a very successful crochet lesson, proclaimed them very good! The recipe states that the batch of cookie dough makes about 30, I got a lot more out of the dough, but I like smaller biscuits that fit perfectly into your tea cup and can get all soft and soggy when saturated with tea! Oh, uh... Please excuse me while a go put the kettle on, I feel the intense need to go be healthy!........ xxx

PS:: Was thinking, you could add Nutmeg and Cinnamon to these  for a very Christmassy feel..... Will try it out and let you know.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx