There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Monday 21 January 2013

Traitor!

I find myself thinking that I am a Traitor? Why you ask?....... Well I will tell you and you can judge for yourself (But please be kind to me)

As you all know I LOVE NIGELLA LAWSON! She is my "Domestic Goddess" , I aspire to cook like her, I would love to look like her(all dark and exotic) and I certainly would love to eat like her! She devours food, she feasts and really enjoys it! I certainly love to eat but I very much doubt she pounds the streets in her trainers being all remorseful about the fact that she ate a third yummy, delicious, soft and gorgeous cupcake!!!

So ...... while channel hoping a few months back I came across  another gorgeous and sexy "cheffy" type person... Actually she is a model turned chef... a PLUS size model!! My kinda girl - Sophia Dahl to be exact! There she was prancing around her kitchen like it was a Christian Dior ramp, being all fluttery eyelashes at the camera and cooking up some  really lovely, Lovely, LoVeLy tomato soup. Racing to the kitchen with the recipe in my head I pranced and fluttered(My family thought I had gone batty!) and cooked! The tomato soup was  GOOD, Really GOOD! !(and of course really simple)  

So the next time I went into the local book store, I looked for her book only to be told it had not yet been released in good ole SA yet, not a problem, we were off to the UK in a few weeks time!  Now I have been known to lug loads of books back in my hand luggage and poor LSO always takes them off my hands, eventually(insert a broad smile here!) But cook books are for his tummy as well as mine, aren't they?

The Book!
From Season to Season is a beautiful book, not only are the recipes great but the book is beautifully written and the pictures are gorgeous(Helps if you are a SUPER MODEL  I suppose!) And although the recipes look long they are really simple! When I get a new recipe book I always pick one recipe - just something that catches my fancy and try it out as soon as possible!  What caught my fancy? Carrot and Cream Cheese Muffins -  YUMMY YUM YUM!!!
 

Chopped Walnuts!

Lots of Cinnamon

And Carrots Of Course

Mix Mix Mix.....

Lemons From My Garden


A Beautiful Book

My Carrot  and Cream Cheese Muffin


Three Left From Twelve-They Must Be Good!

So Now I suppose you want the recipe......

Miss Sophia Dahl's seriously good Carrot and Cream Cheese Muffins!!

2 Eggs
1 cup Caster sugar
3/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 1/4 cup Self-raising Flour
1tsp Bi Carbonate of Soda
2tsp Cinnamon
2tsp Mixed Spice
1/2 cup of Walnuts(chopped)
1 1/2 Cup of Grated Carrot
1/3 Cup of Water

Cream the eggs,sugar and oil.
Put the flour,bi carb and spices in another bowl
Add the walnuts and carrot into the dry bowl
Fold in the  the egg mixture and add the water
Spoon into Muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeasy!!

For the Icing.....

1 Cup of Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Icing Sugar
Vanilla Essence
Zest and Juice Of A Lemon

Whisk  al of the above together
Spoon onto the cooled muffins

And EATTTTTTT!!!!!!(With a Good Coffee - Of Course)

The only tedious thing is grating the mountain of carrots that you need for the muffins.  I love that she still uses good old cup and spoon measurements! So Vintage like, actually that is the feel of the entire book, very vintage! My darling Peeps these are seriously good - Have I ever lied to you??
 
So now to my dilemma at the beginning of this post, am I waxing too lyrically about the lovely Sophia, and her equally lovely book full of scrumptious things to eat..... I do still love Nigella but there is just something about Sophia that ..... well ...... OK.... don't all scream at once ....I can hear you all loud and clear .... TRAITOR!!! xxx
 

2 comments:

  1. Just made these...they are SO delicious!! My icing flopped though...was super runny, may have over whisked. Will make some more to ice them tomorrow:) thanks for sharing the recipe Ash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog xxx