There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Saturday 12 January 2013

Summer Lovin'

 
Summer lovin' had me a blast
Summer lovin', happened so fast
I met a girl crazy for me
I met a boy, cute as can be
Summer days driftin' away,
To uh-oh those summer nights
Tell me more, tell me more,
Did you get very far?
Tell me more, tell me more,
Like, does he have a car?
She swam by me, she got a cramp
He went by me, got my suit damp
I saved her life, she nearly drowned
He showed off, splashing around
Summer sun, something's begun,
But uh-oh those summer nights ............


Summer days are the long hot and humid here in the fishing village! The long summer afternoons are  best,  the blazing hot sun has left the midday sky and things begin to cool down, the shadows in the back garden are long but cheerful and you can hear the happy shrieking of children all over the suburb, as mom's allow them out of air conditioned houses and into  swimming pools to play away the afternoon! Splashing and yells of "cannonball" fill the air and a general feeling of happiness is all around! I simply love this time of the year, it makes me happy, it makes me joyful, it makes me giddy! There is quiet simply nothing like a summer afternoon here!   
  
Long Shadows
 So here is a small peek into our long Summer afternoons......
 
 
Our Boy Bones
Baron or Bones as he is more affectionately know as is a "Crockerty" Spaniel. Crockerty because he is getting on in years. Although he has never lost his youthful exuberance for life! He is the eternal puppy! He has loved swimming from when he was a very tiny. As soon as one of us has leaped into the pool he follows suit! Leaping in with wonderful enthusiasm, and he can swim like an Olympic gold medallist....  We actually cannot keep him out of the pool and when we go out he swims all by him self! I love it when he does the shake-yourself-off-thing that dogs do..... everything shakes, his jowls makes a noise and his ears fly and he sneezes madly...... And he is silly happy! Just the way a loved dog should be! 
 
Should I Jump Or Not
 Now another little creature in our household that you cannot keep out of the pool is Little Madame!! Oh My Goodness she loves the water and loves nothing more that being thrown high up into the air by her daddy! I sometimes have to bite my tongue and look away,  I cannot believe that she gets catapulted so high and so far but as she comes up she screams "more,  more" in a delighted and happy voice! She divides her time between being above the water and .........
  
Above
.... below the water, I am sure that I could not possibly hold my breath for so long under the water when I was that age! I am sure she is part fish although she assures me on a daily basis that she actually is a descendant of a mermaid! I BELIEVE HER....... 
 
Below!
 
As the long afternoons draw to a close, The smell of meat on  braai's fills the air making mouths water and sends you scurrying to the kitchen to see what can be eaten for dinner. Swimming all afternoon is hungry business! Our dinners are  always eaten out side on out veranda, meat and chicken done on the fire with big cool and crisp green salads or Al fresco type dining eaten straight out of the bowls with crispy icy cold glasses of white wine...... and as the sun starts to leave the bright blue summer sky, little people are happily yawning, tired from all the playing and swimming, saying their prayers, waiting for Mr Sandman to tug their eyelids closed.  Moms and Dads  settle down in front of the television to rest and think about  long hot summer days of the past..... xxx 
  
Dinner on The Veranda
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx