There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Tee Shirt Magic!

Sometime the Simplest Things can be made to look FaBuOuls! Take a few simple Tee Shirts and use you imagination ....Abracadabra .... Hey Presto..... and all that magical jargon.... and you have a gorgeous hand made unique garment!

Now I cannot claim that the 2 tee shirt inspired garment below are all my idea, I do browse the net and look at magazines and books for inspiration! I will see something, and let in float around in the vast imaginative space that is my head until I figure out exactly how to do it myself - as you all know, I like to figure thing out on my own, sometimes I really should read the instructions but hey, where is the fun in that?

Sooooo..... Tee Shirt No 1:
 


Take a plain white Tee Shirt.....  




Turn it over, and cut out some wings, I used  pink felt for the bottom wings and a pretty vintage floral for the smaller one! Use your imagination to cut out the wings, any shape will do and make it unique. Place the wings onto the tee and pin  them in place with loads and loads of pins so that they don't move. Then check the placing and mark with chalk( it will wash out)



Use the zigzag setting on your machine and set it on the longest but smallest width stitch, I then unpinned the big wings and stitched the smaller ones on to the bigger ones, then re pin the large ones and sewed them onto the tee..... Abracadabra..... Hey Presto.....


Angel Wings for An Angel Child

Sooooo..... Tee Shirt No 2




You will need a tee shirt and about one and a half meters of fabric.....




Cut the Tee shirt so that it is about waist length for your little angel( or yourself - it would work perfectly for an adult) Can you see where I cut it - the pin marks the spot!
 



This is the only tricky part and only if you have never cut a full circle before.... fold the fabric in half, then in half again( sure hope that makes sense) then decide how long you want it and pin you tape measure to the top, start at the one end and move your tape measure along the fabric and keep cutting toward the tape measure.....getting that?
 


See what I mean? Then in the same manner cut out a smaller hole right at the top.




Unfold your fabric once -A half circle.......




Unfold again and you have a full circle - SO CLEVER!!!!




Keeping the right sides together, pin the top of the tee shirt into the skirt- look at the top of the picture - see what I mean? you might have to cut you top hole in the skirt a bit bigger but do it little at a time, although the beauty of the tee shirt fabric is that you can stretch it slightly... slightly. Sew the two pieces together!
 


I cut two long pieces of fabric out as I wanted to make a waist band type thing......(I LOVE bows on the back of little angels dresses)




Fold it over and sew it together, start at one long  end, turn the corner and sew straight across the width then turn and down the other side, don't turn the other corner or you won't be able to turn it out!
 
 


Cut the corners like I have done in the picture above, and turn out, Sorry to say this but iron it ( have I mentioned my total aversion to ironing - poor LSO) Then fold over the opening and hand stitch it closed!



I used the seams on the side of the tee as a guide to sew my two bands on, and did you notice I used a contrasting pattern....  I simply roll hemmed the bottom of the skirt, I find this much easier the trying to hem an impossible curve .....  Abracadabra .....  Hey Presto..... a sweet little dress in no time at all!


She Loves Being A Model!

Little Madame loves the dress, I think because it has a twirly. Honestly I get quiet giddy watching her twirl and twirl and twirl on our lawn, in the house, actually every where we go! I LOVE the Angel Wings!  Both Tee 's Cost me R 40.00( that is about $5 and 4 pounds) and the fabric I had lying around in my stash. I spent about an hour on both and really they are so easy to do... I just want to say that you could even do the Angel Wing Tee by hand, with a simple blanket stitch (just use fabric that does not fray) I cannot tell you how many people have stopped me to ask where I bought  these, and honestly I do feel a little... OK, LOTS of PRIDE when Little madame proudly announces "My mama made it".....xxx 
 

1 comment:

Thanks for reading my blog xxx