There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Sunday 4 November 2012

Little Christmas Lanterns!!


One of my BEST BEST BEST holidays is coming........ I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!! I literally have 4 HUGE BOXES of decorations and wait for it.....  3 CHRISTMAS TREE'S! I put up the decorations as soon as I can,I bake lots , I play carols - annoying ones like Mariah Carey( or Mariah Scary as LSO likes to call her)  I really do  become one of those annoying happy people who loves to sing along to Silent Night in the shops, and tries to bring JOY to the world!  All my present shopping is usually done by the 1st  of December and I have bought the turkey shortly there after....
 
Sooooo why am I on about Christmas SO early, I hear you ask?  Well a few nights ago I was lying in bed thinking about Christmas when this very cute idea popped into my head, I think its been brewing since Little Madame's Mothers Day Function at her school. We made these gorgeous Lace Jars, with buttons on the top, I use mine for earrings and see it every day! So I thought why not cover a glass with Christmas fabric, and pop a tea light candle into it, wouldn't it look sweet? So the next day I did just that and the results were quite cute!
 
If you can't wait to see and don't really want to know how to make these easy little Christmas Lanterns, scroll down to see the end result, If you want to make them read on...... so EASY and so PRETTY!  




Buy some cheap glasses, I got these at Mr Price Home for R5.99

Measuring
 
Measure around the circumference and length of the glass - try to use one that has 'straight sides' or it might get tricky later.......


Fabric is So Cute!
 
 Cut out a piece of fabric the size of the measurements you took, adding 1 cm on either side for seams

Sew up the side seam

Slip it On
 
Slip it over the glass like a cuff. It  should fit the glass snugly. You don't want it to keep slipping off
 

Taking Shape
 
If it is slightly too long, as mine was, trim the top off(its easier to trim the top, as you can get your scissors into the glass.) You could sew a seam onto the top edge, I use a pinking shears because I like the zigzag edge!
 

Ten Minutes Work

I Buy Anything I See for My Ribbon Stash
 
 Take out your ribbon and lace stash, and glue some onto the fabric, you could sew it, but as you know I like easy
 

Waiting to Dry
 
Glue some buttons onto the ribbon - let your imagination go wild! Cut out felt reindeer, or bells!
 
 
Rick Rack Snowmen



Red for Santa
 
 Let them dry, add a candle and Voila - you have gorgeous easy Christmas Lanterns.......

 I lit them to see what they would look like and was delighted that my idea worked out so well! Can you imagine how gorgeous these would look on a window sill all in a row, or as the centre piece of your Christmas table! I tried various arrangements and they all looked so pretty! I took loads of pictures and could not decide which ones to post, so sorry, but you got them all!
 
Here are my Christmas Lanterns - a little Ta Dah is in order I think - TA DAH!!

Love the Way They Light Up!

Four Large, Four Small 

Sweet Little Snowman

In A Row

Red Lanterns Only

My Favourite


So Festive and Pretty
 
I must say I am so delighted with them,  and they were so easy, I think a child would also love to make these, and why not sew the cuff and then give them to your children to decorate for grandparents - a guaranteed winner as a present I think! They are all packed away now waiting for Christmas! I was wondering if the middle of November was a bit to early to decorate........... xxx
 


3 comments:

  1. Ash these are great! You're so creative xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and festive. (Haven't heard the word rick-rack for yonks!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog xxx