There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Nutter Butter

I am fully into making my own food at the moment. I keep reading all these scare mongering stories on the interweb at the moment. It seem that everything you put into your mouth and body is full of E numbers, genetically modified this or that. Not to mention food being washed in bleach and chlorine - EEEEKKKK

I already make all my own jams, and there are only home made biscuits in the biscuit jar. My Veggie garden is rocking,  I have sourced a great organic butcher in the area(for those of you who live in the fishing village - Hope Butchers) But  I decided I needed to up my game....

So I bought a Yoghurt maker- the process of making yoghurt is really easy, in actual fact you don't even need a machine, but I like kitchen gadgets. Home made yogurt is however very different from store bought, it is slightly sour and NOT sweet. I add berries and vanilla and BAM - , you have a great healthy flavoured yogurt!

A Bread maker - What a winner. no kneading or waiting, you literally put all the ingredients into the machine and press play. two hours later you will know your bread is ready when the delicious smell of fresh bread hit yours nose.

And recently a Butter churner - I will do a post on the butter churner as I am wildly excited about said gadget but only bought it a few days ago and haven't tried it yet.

As usual I have gone off on a tangent.  This post is about PEANUT BUTTER. my favorite thing to put on warm home made bread. The other day,  in passing LSO had mentioned to me that I should try making some. I, of course was keen to rise to the challenge and went to my go place Pintrest to see how it was done..... It is really simple and the results are spectacular, that is if you love PB


So simple in fact, that you need two things - Peanuts and a food processor.
  

Now all you do is put the peanuts into the processor and press play..... then have patience. I bought a bag of peanut bits from our local bake shop. They were a little more expensive than peanuts in a shell, but honestly who want to shell peanuts? Oh I also did the peanuts in batches....


If you look at the above pictures you will see the various stages, they grind down, then sort of clump together - at this stage, I said to LSO that it wasn't going to work.... But suddenly, if formed a big ball of peanut yumminess, then started to cream - BAM - PEANUT BUTTER! Creamy yummy delicious PB! If it hadn't happened so fast I would have had time to say TA DAH! It was a real TA DAH moment!


We decided to try a few different flavours:  
JAR 1 - a tiny bit of salt
JAR 2 - a tablespoon of  organic brown sugar
JAR 3 - 1 tablespoon each of honey and coconut oil
JAR 4 - a couple of cashew nuts (LSO loves cashews)
Now you might look at all of this and say why add sugar and oil when you are wanting something pure? Well,  making it this way, you have control over HOW much and WHAT goes into your PB
  
 


If you will bear with me, I am going to stay on my soapbox for just a bit longer..... In this day of genetically modified this and that, fertilizers, pesticides, bulking agents and processed foods. Not to mention the diseases that these ugly things cause -  if I can control a little of what is going into my families bodies, and help thenm be as healthy as they can be, then I am doing my job!  
Thank you and now back to PB. So are you going to all rush out and buy some nuts....  Go on,  I know you want to! I wonder how much a cow costs.... fresh milk anyone? ....xxx

                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx