There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Monday 23 November 2015

Sea Treasure......

A lot of my teenage memories are wrapped up in a holiday home down the coast, a little way down from our fishing village. It is a holiday home that my parents have been going to for about 20 years. The house has two units in it, each unit sleeps about 10 people and is owned by a friend of my mom. So every year since I was about 15 we have all converged on this house over the hot  and humid summer in December. We all have many happy memories of Christmas dinners on the patio, loud and energetic games of cards and monopoly, sunbathing, cousins visiting and  food oh the delicious food we made there. My memories include...... telling my darling Stepmom Frieda about meeting LSO, we were  on the patio, I told her that I had met the man I would marry. My family all stayed at this house when said man and I got married, I laid on the patio and rubbed my very pregnant tummy a few weeks before Little Madame was born. There are so many wonderful memories invested in that house.
This year however, my parents went down a few month ago(not in December), my dad needed to recuperate after a gruelling back operation, so LSO, Little Madame, my cheffy sister Cindy and I joined them for a few days. It was during one of the above mentioned dinners that Frieda gently broke the news to us that the owners had sold the house and this was to be our last adventure there. We were heartbroken........     
  
   
The house is right on the beach. You literally walk across a road down some steps and you are on the beach. A small alcove type beach. The main beach is a little way down so it really is private and secluded. Often you have the entire beach and rock pools to yourself. When the tide is out the hidden rock pools are visible  and they become our playground and there are always many treasures to discovered
 

The rock pools hold beautiful sea life........


The sky is always bright blue, the crisp winds blow and the air is  humid......


 The sand is course, the shells are broken but earthy, and the sea glass is exotic.....


You find unusual bits and bobs, like a tiny little creature looking for a new home......


In the crystal clear pools there are star fish, crabs, beautiful corals and tiny fish.......

 
 The sand is for kicking........

And sisters are forever, just like memories........
 
Eyes were brimming with tears as we left on the last day, I dared not look back for fear of dissolving into sobs!  I am certain that our holiday home will be torn down to make way for new exotic luxury apartments, where new families will come and new memories will be made. The enduring memories of our many happy family holidays at our home-from-home will never fade......xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx