There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Sunday 7 September 2014

Comfort Food.....

I am feeling poorly, and when I feel poorly and a little under the weather I want some comfort food, not the average comfort food, like stew, soup or mashed potato, toast and tea! When I am poorly I want 3 things and 3 things only! Three very odd things but they work for me! They are my Poorly Comfort Food!
 
Number 1 -  My mom used to give me Gem Squash when I was little, scrapped out of the shell with lashings of butter and salt, I LOVED it! I still do!(as a matter of fact I don't need to be feeling ill to eat this)
Number 2 - Granola and Milk, however it must be a small amount of granola but a LARGE amount of milk! Like a half a litre and loaded with sugar!
Number 3 - A Savoury Tart thing that my mom used to make!  This is my favourite and what today's post is all about !
 
For a few days now I have been fighting off a head cold (grrr - nothing worst) alas yesterday I lost the war and I woke up feeling like death! I was feeling lousy, my nose was all bunged up and wanted nothing more than to curl up under the duvet and sleep! Little Madame had other plans however...... After much explaining she agreed that home was the best place for us, by home I mean the couch! So we settled down to a day of TV watching( not the norm - but sometimes a mom has to do what a mom has to do...) Around lunch time, I was asked "what's for lunch mama?" Savoury Tart popped into my head. So I dragged myself to the kitchen and got out my trusty old recipe book! 
 
 
My 30 year old Recipe Book
The best thing about this savoury tart is that you can make it in the pie dish that you bake it in! I plonk all the ingredients into the dish stir it up and pop it into the oven! EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEASY! Just what you need when you feel horrible! Something really simple!  
 
The ingredients are equally easy, the only thing you might not have in your grocery cupboard is a tin of canned meat/ Bully Beef, however I ALWAYS keep a can in my grocery cupboard, for me it is a basic along with caned tomato's and pasta!



Loved These As A Child !

I have no idea where my mom got this recipe from, and in our house it was not just reserved for when we were sick, we also had it on a Sunday night, with a big fresh green salad, and best of all it is AWESOMELY delicious the next day - in a fat  chunk straight out of the fridge! My brother and I also knew that when we opened our lunch box and school the next day - a chunk of tart would be waiting for us!

Of course you now want the recipe...... So here it is

Avril's Crust less Savoury Tart

1 tin of Canned Meat/Bully Beef
125g Grated Cheese
1 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
1 Tbs Chopped Onion
1/2 tsp mustard(I used what ever mustard I have)
1 tsp Dried Parsley
1 Tbs Flour

Mix everything together in a oven proof dish and bake at 175degrees Celsius until golden brown

APPLY TO MOUTH!( a very sick one , in this case)

Mix It In The Oven Dish

Golden Brown and Piping Hot!

Not even an hour later I was back on the couch under my crochet blanket, feeding my cold, with piping hot tart! Did it take away my head cold? Not really! Did it make me better? Not really! But it did make my tummy feel full and warm.....And isn't that what Comfort Food is all about..........xxx

Comfort Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx