There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Tuesday 20 May 2014

HomeTown Memories....

People always say that a Fragrance is an instant memory! The slightest whiff of something, be it baking, flowers, the smell on the tarmac at an airport, baby powder or the smell of a fragrance can instantly transport you back to a place you love, your granny's pancakes, your mothers arms, a favourite aunt, a special place.....or holding your child close while she sleeps......
 
Recently I had the chance to go to a place I loved, my home town, Pretoria! I have not been home for a while,(my family choosing to come and visit me - you know-fishing village, sea, sun and surf!) My mother had moved away a few years back, but my father and darling step mom still live there. It was said Lovely-Step-Moms birthday and Cin had organised a surprise gathering of the brothers, sisters and grandchildren... It was a lovely and very thought provoking trip..... 
   
Bindy and Patch!
Cin and I took Little Madame to the Zoo on Saturday morning and all the familiar sights and places  made me feel like I had never left, so for those of you who help with those happy and wonderful memories.... this post is for you.... 
  

*The Voortrekker Monument (in the distance)
*Unisa (a huge university)
*Church Street
*Pretoria Central Prison
*The National Printing
*The NG Kerk in town!

The places mentioned above are old and seeped in history! Pretoria or Tshwane as it is now known is a beautiful city, I had forgot just how beautiful it is! The Jacaranda trees line almost every street and when they are in bloom it is a profusion of  beautiful purple hues.....almost like a purple snow fall


*The Cuthbert building - My first full time job!
*Broekie Lace veranda's on  buildings
*A sign pointing toward my home suburb - Lyttelton!
*Burgers park
*The apartment building were my Grandparents Harry and Granny Sheila lived!

Pretoria ZOO
I have been to many Zoo's around the world, Pretoria Zoo must be one of the best I have ever seen! I began going there as a little girl and continued going through out my childhood, and teenage years!  It was revamped a few years back and this was my first visit in many, many,  mannnny years!  The enclosures(not cages) are huge, you really get the sense of space and nature! There are no concrete or iron bars to be seen!

Cin And Little Madame Being Flamingo's

The Beautiful Fountain above has been there since I was a very little girl, I can clearly remember, standing transfixed for what seemed like hours watching the water run from it! It is very old, 107 years old to be precise and was a gift to the Pretoria Zoo by a gentleman named Samuel Marks! It seems it will always be there.....
 
A Big Ole Brown Bear!

Beautiful New Enclosures

Old and Familiar Cages


 
I had to add this picture, here is sunny ole SA we speak a few different languages one of them is Afrikaans (a throw back to our Dutch fore fathers...) Now some of the words still make me laugh, the direct translation are often really funny and this must be my all time Favourite.... as you can see it is a sign for Candyfloss - however the Afrikaans translation says anything but candyfloss, but is a very apt translation.... Spookasem is literally - GHOST BREATH!!!!! Now isn't that lovely?....It cracks me up every time I hear it!  
  
Presenting my Home Town...

The Main City... Pretoria

And to the Left The Union Buildings!
We could have spent the whole day there, riding the cable car, picnicking, eating ice creams  and lying on the warm grass watching clouds go by.... However soon it was time to head back home to take Nana out to her surprise birthday lunch, as we were driving out of the main city I had a thought......It seems funny to me, no matter how much one grows up, how much of a grown woman you think  are, if you have a husband and a child of your own.... a home of your own...... Going back to the place where you were born and raised always bring you back to your roots, grounds you and makes you remember the people and places that have helped shaped you. Going home is like falling into a big old comfortable cushion.. It just feels right....xxx


Daddy And His Beloved dogs!
PS: For those of you wondering why I didn't include a picture of our beloved Jacqueline's, I honestly could not  get a good picture of the arcade it is in.... SORRY - however I will never forget that part of Pretoria!!! NEVER EVER!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog xxx