There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Vanilla Ice Icing Baby......

The year before last I went on a few cake icing courses, which I really enjoyed! I even got the number for the local cake icing Guild but alas life gets busy and it all fell by the way side.....  Enter my cousin Vivian, I had seen a few posts on her face book page, she was making the most BEAUTIFUL cakes, with gorgeous little fondant things on them. Now I need to digress here just a little..... To tell you that although Viv lives just down the road, well, about a 30 minute drive we hardly see each other, like me she is a mother, to two very beautiful girls and is constantly busy, so we seem to only see one another on rare occasions! It is sad! But on with the ramblings....  I commented on one such post, and Viv responded with - 'Why don't you join me?' And so I did!
  

 Something Sweet is something else, owned and run by Kerry, who is an absolute sweetheart. She is a lovely lady who immediately welcomes you like an old and dear friend! She is kind and infinitely patient!! She is also a really great teacher, she explains things in a very simple and to the point manner!  She has been decorating cakes for many, many years, she says. Kerry relaxes you immediately and gives freely of all her knowledge, anything you ask, she can and does answer The classes are run from her home, she did have a shop but  decided to move it all home, and is busy renovating her garage  by herself, well.... with the help of her husband, who by the way bakes a mean apple and custard yummy little tarty thingy! The classes are about 3 hours long, but pass by in a flash! I have seen many beautifully decorated cakes BUT this lovely lady is seriously talented! All you have to do is take a look at her face book page..... Which you will find here  


So what did I do? I magically changed hard candy Easter eggs into the sweetest little dinosaur, a frog, a chicken in a nest (that looks more like an angry bird) and a elegant, cute little tea pot!


A lump of brown  marshmallow icing was round and shaped into a gorgeous little bear! I have only ever used plastic icing and I  really found the marshmallow fondant much easier! It doesn't crack as easily as plastic fondant and it rather like working with play dough!


And the left over was quickly made into a teeny tiny little bear! Let me tell you how this happened, LSO and Little Madame did not believe that I actually made the bear  - so I made one in front of them..... Thank you Kerry for teaching me so well!

 
The next class I did was my favourite and my best! It was a flood icing class! I have tried so hard to make flood icing biscuits but always failed dismally! My icing was too runny, it didn't flood it raged!  And sometimes it just sat on top of the biscuit like an island! Now I can do it! Its Easy! Its Fun! I L-O-V-E it! 
Flood Icing Ready
 
Kerry gave us exact recipes on how to make the perfect flood icing, then she patiently showed us how to make the icing and how to flood ice a biscuit!

 
Kerry Rocking It!
Then we all made the beautiful biscuits you see below! A teddy bears picnic feast! 
 
Teddy Bears Picnic Biscuits


Next class was a mom and kiddies class, as it was school holidays, I took Little Madame and Viv brought her one Little Madame and other Big Madame! It was so simple, A lollipop or sucker as we call them, covered in the marshmallow fondant,(I forgot to mention that this fondant also tastes really good!) We made A flower, a fish and Mike Wasowski(I know that's not how you spell that name) from Monsters University! It was such fun and once again clever Kerry was patient and caring with all of us, ESPECIALLY the little peeps!   


Our Masterpieces
 
Marshmallow Fondant

Cousins And Their Fish
Viv has so aptly named the icing classes - Play Dates For Moms! It is the perfect name! I really look forward to going, as a matter if a fact I cannot wait to go! Not only am I learning new and VERY exciting skills but I am seeing my cousin regularly AND I have met someone very special! Someone who is inspiring me to be more creative! Thank you Kerry, you are a STAR! xxx

Me and Mike!

2 comments:

  1. I've also been to a biscuit flooding lesson It was like being a kid again and colouring in only you could eat your picture afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is such FUN!! I must now try it without any help from the lovely Kerry! EEEEKKKKK!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog xxx