There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Sunday 21 October 2012

Pin It!

 
Over the last few weeks, I have been building myself up to change Little Madame's room! She is growing up very quickly , and like all mom's, I am very unhappy about this wanting to keep her as little as possible for as long as possible, but alas time has other plans! So when she announced to us, a few months ago that her room was too "BABY" for her I relented and began to think about redecorating...... When ask what she would like, I was told "a princess room, with a bed with curtains and flowers and butterfly's" So on went the thinking cap, but as many of you SA mom's know, getting Disney things here in our gorgeous country is next to impossible! We were lucky enough to go to Dubai a few weeks after the announcement was made and while browsing in Hamley's, I found the most beautiful Disney princess wall decals, there was also a Magical castle...... PERFECT FOR MY PRINCESS!!!! A mosquito net with flowers on it, a new snow white duvet cover and white curtains completed the look!
 
The Old Pin Board and New look Room - Did Not Match!
I firmly believe in keeping things quiet neutral, and then adding to a room with accessories( A  rule I learn during my interior design diploma) so to add all of these new things, only took a few hours (and a few tears, while tacking down the said "baby" stuff!) And her room looked lovely....... BUT...... A new pin board was needed, so on went the thinking cap, and out came a magazine, which  had a pin board I had seen a few weeks back, and in no time at all it was done and looked soooo cute that I thought I would share how I made it for you to try..... ( I made many changes to the one in the mag)  
 
What you need::
 
A Stretched Canvas(size depends on your needs)
Ribbon
Scraps of Fabric
Flowers (I crocheted a few)
Buttons
Scraps of Lace
Thumb Tacks
Small Bull Clips
Tiny Pegs
 Polystyrene
 Crafts Glue
Pins
Staple Gun
 
 
The Stretched Canvas And Polystyrene



Ribbon and Fabric


I measured across the width and length then divided that by 3, as I wanted 3 blocks either way. The width of my board  didn't give me 3 equal blocks so I made the middle one slightly bigger, and did the same with the length. and marked it off with a pencil

Then measured the ribbon, 2 for width and 2 for length and pinned them on using the pencil marks as your guide

Then cut out your fabric scraps, I cut 3, but you can cover the entire board if you want to, or just few blocks.

Glue these on,(lift your ribbon - DUH!)only glue around the edges as the glue will harden and then it will not be easy to push your tacks through the canvas

Allow to dry completely


The Ribbon Pinned in Place

Cutting the Blocks of Fabric

Adding Bits and Pieces

Stapled my Thumb Really Badly, Not So Clever


While you wait for the glue to dry, make the Little things that will hold your notes and pictures to the board.

Glue buttons to the little pegs
Cut Ribbon into strips and tie onto the Bull Clips
Glue lace flowers onto thumb tacks



Glue Embellishment to the pegs
 
 
 
 
Bull Clips and A Piece of Flowered Lace
 
 
Staple gun you ribbon to the back of your canvas board, check that you are doing this perfectly straight(or you will fight with it and come off second best!)
 
Choose some beautiful buttons and sew them onto the canvas, where the ribbons cross one another, remember to sew through the canvas and ribbon, as this will strengthen the ribbon when you hang things on it







 I Love Beautiful Buttons
 
You nearly done!!

Add some crocheted flowers,(I sewed and glued mine on) or some store bought butterflies, if you have a boy you could make some felt trucks or boats..... the possibilities are endless!

Now cut the polystyrene to fit in the back cavity of the canvas. I found this the most difficult thing of the whole project as it kept breaking into pieces, but I just pushed them back in(I mean no one is going to see the back of it)

The polystyrene will help hold everything that you pin into the board in place!

SO SIMPLE and  DONE!


It's gorgeous



Tiny Little Pegs

Crochet Flowers

A Shelf Holding Priceless Possessions

Glass Slipper and Crowns

The Total Effect

Princesses

Fit For A Princess
 
I was very happy with the new princess room, but more important, so was Little Madame, as a matter of a fact she pronounced it FIT FOR A PRINCESS!! And to see her happy makes me happy after all she is the boss of this house! xxx
 

1 comment:

Thanks for reading my blog xxx