There is great happiness in not wanting, in not being something, in not going somewhere...

Monday 12 September 2016

Bath time....Boo Boo


I don't always get everything I make right! When I make a boo boo it is normally an EPIC one. This is a post about an is about one of my many boo boo's. I also feel that it is important that you all know that I don't always get everything right.

So here is my story. All the trendy magazines and shop are currently showing big crocheted bath matts. They seem to be really trendy all of a sudden. (As a matter of fact crochet seems to be getting bigger and a bigger as a trend. I am not being told - you look like a granny sitting there crocheting anymore, now its more like Oh, PLEASE can you teach me!)  They are made with t-shirt fabric, in the most beautiful colours. I have trawled pintrest on how to make T-shirt yarn, however I don't really cut very straight and I am certainly not buying T-shirts to cut up.  



I came across some balls of T-shirt yarn a few weeks ago and although the colour was somewhat dull grey, I bought it, thinking that I would never pay the exorbitant price the shops wanted for bath matt, I would simply make one, I mean how hard can it be, I crochet! I dug through my piles of Mollie Makes Magazine, I had seen a bath matt pattern in one of the issues, and got down to business.  


Round 1 - Not too bad although my fingers were struggling with the thick and not so easy to use T-shirt fabric and the super thick crochet hook.......



Round 2- A little easier, and it was growing by the stitch.....


Round 3 - My fingers were tired, the yarn was heavy and hard to work with....


Round 4 - sorry about the upside down picture. as you can see it was growing nicely, about the size of my magazine now.....sore fingerssssss


Round 5 - was an easy round, just chains thank Heavens...
Round 6 - was a difficult one, adding 9 stitches into that little space was rough and because by now my fingers were at breaking point....


But the end was in sight....... However it looked small
Thank Heavens the last round, I knew that if I put it down now it would NEVER get finished....
Round 7 - just chains again.....


It was not quiet that Ta Dah moment I had hoped for, it was way to small, it looked really out of proportion in my bath room. It look ridiculous to say the least. 


My options were  not many, I was NOT going to pull it out and I was certainly NOT going to try it again. To be fair, it would look great in a miniscule bathroom, just not mine! Also I must say that the picture you are seeing were taken after I had fought the feisty little matt into submission. It kept curling up, trying to roll itself back into a tiny little ball of T-shirt again. I stretched it,  pulled it, had my toes hooked into the bottom, pulling the top up to my chin. I think the fabric was not happy that it was a mat and not a shirt. It honestly has a life of its own. It was a EPIC boo boo!
So this little mat has no home, it has been rolled up - like it wants to be, and is now living a lonely life in my linen cupboard. To be honest I feel really bad that it is not on display or being used but am I wrong? maybe there is a person out there with a small bathroom who wants to give a lonely mat a loving home? Let me know.......xxx

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This was not an easy task, congratulations for this massive Achievement! I took knitting classes in grade 3 when I was at Livingston, its very difficult - Our bathroom already has a Crotchet :) Its important in our day and age to be reminded that we dnt always get everything thing right in life, but effort and practice goes a long way - thank you for this blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog xxx